When Santa Fe, New Mexico, was founded in 1610, its name in English was The Royal Town of the Holy Faith of St. Francis of Assisi. Therefore, it was appropriate the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi was placed downtown in 1886. The structure was built with yellow sandstone blocks in a Romanesque Revival style. This western entrance features arches, columns, a rose window and two towers. The statue of the patron saint of animals was added in 1967.