In 1712, Peter the Great commissioned architect Domenico Trezzini to build Peter and Paul Cathedral within the protective walls of Peter and Paul Fortress. The Russian Orthodox church was not finished until 1733 during the reign of Anna of Russia. After it was damaged by lightening in 1756, its restoration required twenty years. Inside are the graves of all but two of the Russian Empire rulers from 1725 until 1917. The cathedral’s gilded, 404 foot bell tower and spire is a visible landmark from many of the historic places in central Saint Petersburg. It is also the city’s second tallest structure. Next to the cathedral is the Grand Ducal Mausoleum. It was designed by David Grimm and finished in 1908 to contain the tombs of other members from the House of Romanov, the ruling dynasty of Russia for nearly 200 years.