St Andrews Castle along the North Sea is best viewed from the Cliff Walk. The first citadel on this promontory was built in the late 12th century by Roger de Beaumont, the Bishop of St Andrews. The fortress repeatedly exchanged hands between the Scots and the English in several battles before finally being destroyed in 1337. It was rebuilt in 1400 and again in the mid-16th century. 100 years later it was mostly in ruins until much of it collapsed in 1801.