Evidence suggests there was a monastery on this land adjacent to the Tagus River dating back to the 7th century. The current Castle of San Servando was founded in 1085 by Alfonso VI, King of León and Castile. The Brave then donated it to the Order of Saint Benedict. From the early 13th through early 14th centuries, the Knights Templar expanded the stronghold to defend Toledo against the Muslims. Castillo de San Servando was abandoned in 1312 when the Templars – a powerful Christian military order – was dissolved by Pope Clement V.