This building was built in 1845, one year before the U.S. Navy won the Battle of Monterey and declared California’s annexation from Mexico in the nearby Custom House. In 1849, this adobe structure became a general store run by Joseph Boston. During the Gold Rush, prospectors called it Casa del Oro, which means House of Gold, because they stored their treasure in the Jos. Boston & Co.’s vault. This and several other Old Town buildings are part of the Monterey State Historical Park.