Plaza Mayor is in the center of Madrid. The large square (423 x 308 feet) is surrounded on four sides by red, four-story buildings with porticos on the lower levels. The most famous and beautiful façade defines the northern edge: Casa de la Panadería. The first version of The Bakery House was built in 1619. The current structure by architect Juan de Villanueva is from the late 18th century. Notice the elaborate frescos between the windows. These mythological figures – including Cupid and Bacchus – were designed by artist Carlos Franco and painted in 1992. In the center is a relief of the Spanish coat of arms. This is how the heraldic shield appeared when Charles II was King of Spain from 1665 until 1700.