Baron Francisco Luis Héctor de Carondelet was a governor of the Spanish colonies of Louisiana and West Florida in the late 18th century. Then he was appointed by the Spanish Empire to be President of the Real Audiencia de Quito. During his term from 1799 until 1807, a collection of royal houses were transformed into an opulent mansion. Simón Bolívar, The Liberator of several Latin American countries, gave it the name Carondelet Palace. Located along Independence Square, the Presidential Palace has been the residence and offices of Ecuador’s leaders since the early 19th century.