Education was important to the early settlers of Brigham City. By 1870, they had lending libraries within four wards of schools run by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In 1898, these were centralized with 300 books housed in the new MIA Library and Free Reading Room. Then, with funding from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie – one of 3,500 library grants across the United States – the town built this Carnegie Library in 1915. The distinctive red-brick façade has a Prairie School design. The expanded Brigham City Library now has a collection of over 60,000 materials. It is located behind the old Municipal Building.