The Cardiff Crown Court is one of several impressive Edwardian buildings located in Cathays Park. The 59 acres of land was purchased in 1898 from John Patrick Crichton-Stuart, the 3rd Marquess of Bute. It was then developed to be the Civic Center for Cardiff, now the capital of Wales. The Crown Court and the adjacent City Hall were built simultaneously at the turn of 20th century. Each building uses the same Portland stone with similar designs by the architect firm of Lanschester, Stewart and Rickard. The life-size statues seen on the right of the Law Courts represent Commerce and Industry. They were created by Paul Raphael Montford in 1906. On the left is an allegory for Science and Education.