Adjacent to the Visitor Centre and steps away from the ferry wharf is this late 19th century wooden house encircled with a garden and picket fence. It was originally called Port Lookout Cottage. However, because it was pre-fabricated in Canada, it became known as Canadian Cottage when it was moved to Port Arthur in 1900. It was never part of the penal colony. Instead, it was a home for shopkeepers who catered to the influx of tourists.