Maria Theresa, the Archduchess of Austria from 1740 until 1780, sponsored the construction of Burgtheater. The national theater of Austria opened in 1741 adjoining Hofburg Palace. Hofburgtheater (the name at the time) became a passion for her son, Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor. The performing arts venue hosted numerous premieres by famous Vienna composers, including those of Mozart and Beethoven. In 1888, Die Burg reopened at the current location. After suffering extensive damage during WWII, Burgtheater was rebuilt in 1955. Since then, the stage has displayed the artistic talent of acclaimed actors, designers and directors.