Ozama Fortress was protected by huge defensive walls. The first bulwark was constructed in 1570. The second shooting platform was added in the 17th century. Cannons were positioned along the battlements and aimed toward the Ozama River, the namesake for the citadel. The rusted guns remain in their original positions. They provide an eerie reality to the oldest European fortress in the Americas.