When this area was settled by the English in 1629, it had the Indian name of Cushnoc. While part of Massachusetts, the town was renamed Augusta in 1797 in honor of Henry Dearborn’s daughter. He was a key military figure during the Revolution and the War of 1812 plus a U. S. Secretary of War. Augusta became the capital of Maine in 1832 and a city in 1849. This small community of about 20,000 residents has maintained its New England charm along the banks of the Kennebec River. In the background is the Kennebec Memorial Bridge. The 2,098 foot span was built in 1949.