Brief History of Fort Charlotte in Clare Valley, Saint Vincent - Encircle Photos

Brief History of Fort Charlotte in Clare Valley, Saint Vincent

The Seven Years’ War ended in 1763 with the Treaty of Paris. As part of the agreement, France ceded many colonies in the Americas to Great Britain including Saint Vincent. The British immediately began building a fortification near Kingstown. They named it Fort Charlotte in honor of King George III’s wife. During the 43 years of construction – from 1763 until 1806 – the island witnessed several battles between the British and Indigenous people. Most noteworthy were the First Carib War (1769 – 1773) and battles with the Black Caribs (1793 – 1796). In between these events, the British lost control of Saint Vincent to the French from 1779 and 1783. In short, the colonial years during the second half of the 18th century were tumultuous at best.

VIEW MAP

Fort Charlotte, Edinboro Road, Clare Valley, St. Vincent & Grenadines

Directions

Share this Photo