In 1842, Peter Brandt opened a book bindery and store at Gerritsgade 20 in Svendborg. For the next 35 years he grew it into a successful business until his son, William, took it over in 1878. Under his helm, P. Brandt’s Bookstore became a social gathering place for literature enthusiasts. Then the third generation, Carl, took over the family business. Unfortunately, after 159 years, it finally closed in 2001.