Father Angus MacEachern immigrated from Scotland to Charlottetown in 1790 when St. John’s Island was part of the Diocese of Quebec. By the end of his life 45 years later, he had established the Diocese of Charlottetown, become the first bishop, constructed 18 Catholic churches and started St. Andrews College. This life-size sculpture of Bishop MacEachern was created by Hubert Quade in 2012. The tribute stands in front of the former residence of the bishops, an imposing 19th century Italianate structure next to the cathedral. In 2007, Bishop’s Palace became part of St. Dunstan’s University and renamed SDU Place.