In the center of a roundabout known as The Circus is Berkeley Memorial. The four-faced clock tower and water fountain was created in Glasgow, Scotland and erected in 1883. The namesake is Thomas B.H. Berkeley. He was the former president of the General Legislative Council and the wealthy owner of several plantations on the island until his death in 1881.