During the 18th century, the only Catholic churches in Cartagena were the cathedral and chapels attached to monasteries. Construction of the Church of Santa María de Gracia began in 1713. Work continued for 66 years before finishing in 1779. The Baroque edifice was rebuilt twice after being partially destroyed during battles in 1873 and 1936. The façade is rather bland except for this bell tower.