The Bedford Tower was built in the Upper Courtyard of Dublin Castle in 1761 where the original Norman gate once stood. It is the location of an intriguing, unsolved crime. In 1907, the Irish Crown Jewels – formally called the Chains of Office of the Knights of St. Patrick – where stolen from here. It was suspected that Sir Arthur Vicars, the Ulster King of Arms, was culpable for his drunken carelessness. The precious jewels were never recovered. Today, the Bedford Hall is part of a conference center.