Battery Point in Hobart, Australia

Hobart Town quickly prospered as a British settlement after being founded by Lieutenant-Governor David Collins in 1804. It was soon believed to be vulnerable to attack by European enemies. So, they began building coastal defenses. The first battery of six guns was finished in 1818. Previously named Mulgrave Battery, it is now the prestigious neighborhood of Battery Point. This inner-city suburb only has 2,000 residents. Yet they live in some of the finest Georgian and Victorian homes in Tasmania. The best way for architecture fans to reach Battery Point is to climb Kelly’s Steps from Salamanca Place. The staircase was created in 1839.

VIEW MAP

Hampden Road & De Witt Street, Battery Point TAS 7004, Australia

Directions

Share this Photo