It was determined in 1587 that both flanks of the Havana Harbour needed to be fortified. This decision lead to constructing El Morro on the north bank and this fort – Castillo de San Salvador de la Punta – on the southern side. La Punta suffered from constant building delays and a hurricane in 1595. By 1602, plans for an elaborate stronghold were scrapped. The citadel was finished as a stone keep in 1630. La Punta was restored during the 1990s. In 2002, the San Salvador de la Punta Museum opened inside with the mission to chronicle the fort’s history.