Barão do Rio Branco Square is named after José Paranhos, the Viscount of Rio Branco (Portuguese for white river). His legacy was successfully negotiating an end to the Uruguayan War against Brazil in 1864 and accomplishing similar diplomacy with Paraguay five years later. In the center of the plaza is a monument to Candido Gaffree and Eduardo Guinle. In 1888, these two businessmen received a 92 year lease along the waterfront. They established the Port of Santos in 1892.