The cornerstone of the Banks Peninsula War Memorial was laid in 1922 and completed in 1924. The engraved marble slab reads, “In sacred memory of those who fell in the Great war 1914 – 1919.” Additional plaques list local soldiers who died during the South African War (1899 – 1902) and World War II (1939 – 1945). The memorial’s Greek Revival design by Henry St Aubyn Murray features four large lancet openings pointing towards the tapered spire capped with a cross. Residents gather here every April 25. Anzac Day is a national event of remembrance for all Australians and New Zealanders who have served and died in war.