Since the Bank of New Zealand was founded in 1861, the Auckland-based financial intuition has grown to become the country’s second largest with over 175 branches. The first BNZ office in Akaroa was established in 1865. Ten years later, they moved into this Italianate structure. The second level was added in 1905. This BNZ branch on Rue Lavaud is designated as a Category II Historic Places Trust Registered property.