The Auberge de Castille was built by the Knights Hospitaller in 1574 but the current Baroque façade was added about 170 years later. In the center of this former inn is a bust of Grandmaster Manuel Pinto di Fonseca who commissioned the renovation. Towards the top are three coat-of-arms for Portugal, León and Castile. These represent the geographical regions that were part of the Knights of Malta order. Later it was the administrative offices of the French and then the British during their respective controls of the island. Since 1972 it has been the office of Malta’s Prime Minister.