Waterloo Place is a large square in the St. James’s district constructed in 1828 to honor the defeat of Napoleon during the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. Two buildings flank it borders. The most elaborate is the Athenaeum Club, a social club for intellectual men until women became eligible to join in 2002. The neoclassical façade designed by Decimus Burto features a white and blue frieze patterned after the Parthenon in Athens. Below this bas-relief is a gilded statute of Athena, the Greek goddess of wisdom and the club’s namesake.