Carlos Armstrong-Toro, a prominent local banker, commissioned this mansion across from the cathedral in 1899. It is also called Casa de las Cariatrides in recognition of the caryatids flanking the entrance. The property is now a museum and listed by the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. The estate was designed by Manuel Victor Domenech. He was one of the architects who created the Ponce Creole style. He was also the city’s mayor, a member of the House of Representatives, the Treasurer of Puerto Rico and the island’s governor during the first half of the 20th century.