This eastern gate through the old Roman wall into the city was called Puerta de Tierra (Door of Earth) when it was constructed during the 13th century. It adjoined the Castle of the Villa, a medieval fortress that no longer exists. During the 16th century, a religious sculpture of the Virgin of the Remedies hung here. After 1621, when a merchant named Felipe Blanco built a private chapel in the same place, the arch was renamed after his family. Arco de los Blanco means Arch of the White.