This archway leads to St Canice’s Cathedral. The stone portal is positioned at the top of 26 limestone steps created by Robert Wale in 1614. This flight of stairs is fairly young compared to Kilkenny’s walls constructed during the 13th century. Some of the original wall is still visible along the north and west sections of the church’s cemetery. However, this arch and stairs are typical of the architectural charm of this section of the city called Irish Town.