Sugarcane was introduced to Barbados by the Dutch around 1642. But it was the British who flocked to the island to establish plantations. Soon sugarcane displaced tobacco and cotton as the primary crop. At first, plantations had their own grinding mills. Then ten factories emerged to process the cane. This commercialization transformed Barbados into a major exporter. As the economics changed, the industry declined. Gradually the cane fields disappeared, most plantation owners left and all but two factories closed. Andrews in Saint Joseph Parish is one of the few plantations still in operation. Nearby is the Andrews Sugar Factory. It processes 20,000 tons a year to supply molasses for the local rum industry.