Anchor Outside Royal Houses Museum in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Resting along the wall of the Museum of the Royal Houses is this rusted, wrought iron anchor. This was part of the galleon Conde de Tolosa. In 1724, the ship sunk during a hurricane in the Bay of Samaná in northern Dominican Republic. The hull was carrying a year’s supply of mercury, an essential material used for silver mining. Most of the 600 crewmembers were killed. The underwater graveyard was discovered in 1977 by treasure hunter Tracy Bowden. His company, Caribe Salvage S.A., has uncovered many sunken vessels throughout the Caribbean.

VIEW MAP

Calle Mercedes & Calle Las Damas, Santo Domingo 10210, Dominican Republic

Directions

Share this Photo