At the end of the 16th century, Tokugawa Ieyasu led a campaign to seize power. When he was appointed shogun (military leader) of the Tokugawa shogunate in 1603, he took several steps to solidify his strength. Among those actions was to split the Shin sect. This resulted in two Shin Buddhism temples in Kyoto: the original Nishi Honganji Temple founded in 1591 and this one a few blocks away called Higashi Honganji. Their sect is called Shinshu Otani-ha. This is the Amida Hall Gate, an entrance into the Eastern Temple of the Original Vow. It was built in 1895.