From 1958 until 1983, Charles Bluhdorn was the founder and president of Gulf & Western, a Fortune 500 conglomerate. One of his passions was the Dominican Republic. In 1967, he purchased a local sugarcane company and began building Casa de Campo, his dream mega-resort. Among his inspirations was recreating a 16th century Mediterranean village on the property. He chose Roberto Copa to be the co-architect. Copa was a senior set designer for Paramount Studios, one of Bluhdorn’s subsidiaries. When Altos de Chavón opened in 1982, the results were magical. Flanking the cobblestone streets are restaurants, shops and galleries. They are tucked inside 16th century architecture reproductions crafted from coral blocks. In the center is St. Stanislaus Church. Its namesake is the 11th century bishop of Kraków and the patron saint of Poland. Iglesia San Estanislao de Cracovia is not a prop. The church was consecrated by Pope John II in 1979 and conducts masses on the weekends.