Akaroa Head Lighthouse in Akaroa, New Zealand - Encircle Photos

Akaroa Head Lighthouse in Akaroa, New Zealand

This octagonal, 28 foot wooden lighthouse first flashed its beacon on January 1, 1880. Akaroa Head Lighthouse was maintained by a keeper until automated in 1977. A century after it was built, it was moved to the current position at Cemetery Point. The original location was at Akaroa Head flanking the mouth of Akaroa Harbour on Banks Peninsula. To visit this former site and the scenic Haylocks Bay, follow Lighthouse Road from Akaroa to the end of the promontory. This .3 mile trip by four wheeler or walking is also called the Akaroa Head Scenic Reserve Walk.

VIEW MAP

Akaroa Lighthouse, Beach Rd, Akaroa 7520, New Zealand

Directions

Share this Photo