The French built successive Saint-Louis Forts overlooking the Saint Lawrence River in 1620, 1648 and 1723. They also built a wall encircling the city in the late 17th century. These defenses proved inadequate against the British during the Seven Years’ War in 1759. After the War of 1812, the British decided to build the existing star-shaped citadel. The fortress was designed by Lieutenant Colonel Elias Walker Durnford. La Citadelle de Québec was finished in 1850. This National Historic Site of Canada consists of 24 structures. One of them is the residence for the governor general of Canada. Others are used by the Royal 22nd Regiment, an infantry battalion of the Canadian Armed Forces. Many of the buildings are open to the public.