During the 16th and 17th centuries, the Fleet of the Indies transported treasures plundered in the New World back to Spain. Diego of Barrios was an admiral of the Indian Fleet. His ships focused on New Spain (now Mexico). In 1685, he commissioned this elegant Baroque palace at San Martín Square. The mansion is named Casa del Almirante. The wooden door is flanked by four red marble Tuscan columns. The two corkscrew ones on the balcony are called Solomonic columns. Beneath the curved pediment is a relief of the admiral’s crest.