This trio of handsome, 19th century buildings is on Murray Street at the intersection of Macquarie Street. On the right is the Derwent & Tamar Building. The assurance company started in 1838 and is the sole survivor of four insurance companies established in Hobart. Their former headquarters were designed by Henry Hunter, built upon the old Hobart Gaol (jail) and finished in 1877. In the middle was Hobart Savings Bank, founded by draper (cloth salesman) George Washington Walker in 1845. The bank’s headquarters, which marketed to the lower class, opened in 1859. Its neighbor on the left was a Masonic temple named the Freemasons Hall Company when it was finished in 1874. The street’s namesake is Captain John Murray, the third Commandant of Hobart Town from 1810 until 1812.