At the turn of the 20th century, the Parliament of Tasmania had occupied most of the custom house built in 1840. So, a new Customs House was commissioned along Davey Street. The grand, Classical Revival façade of Tasmania’s first federal building became part of a complex. The historical structures include the Commissariat Store (1810), the Private Secretary’s Cottage (1815) and the Bond Store by architect David Lamb (1824). The Tasmanian Government purchased these in 1977. There are now part of the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery.