U.S. Tour 3: Indiana – Michigan

Share this
View PRINT
Robert N. Stewart Second Street Bridge in Columbus, Indiana - Encircle Photos

1 Robert N. Stewart Second Street Bridge in Columbus, Indiana

This cable-stayed Second Street Bridge is a beautiful gateway to Columbus, Indiana. The arch is also a perfect picture frame for the Bartholomew County Courthouse in the background. In 2013, the span was renamed the Robert N. Stewart Bridge in honor of a former city mayor. Columbus is often called the “Athens of the Prairie.” The city is a charming blend of historic buildings, modern architecture, outdoor art and lush parks. For a very special treat, visit Zaharakos Ice Cream Parlor and marvel at all of the old soda fountains. Then slurp on a chocolate malt with whip cream and a cherry on top.

Robert N. Stewart Bridge State Rd 46, Columbus IN 47201
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Ben Hur Author General Lew Wallace’s Study in Crawfordsville, Indiana - Encircle Photos

2 Ben Hur Author General Lew Wallace’s Study in Crawfordsville, Indiana

This red brick, copper domed study was built in 1898 by General Lew Wallace, the author of “Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ.” Four limestone friezes display carvings by Bohemian Bohumir Kryl of characters from two Wallace novels. They are Princess Irene and the Prince of India plus Judah Ben-Hur and his sister Tirzah. Inside is the General’s 1,200 book library, his original furniture plus artifacts from his military career and inventions. Wallace is quoted as saying, “I’d rather write another book than be rich.”

General Lew Wallace Study & Museum 200 Wallace Ave, Crawfordsville IN 47933
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Indianapolis Motor Speedway Logo in Indianapolis, Indiana - Encircle Photos

3 Indianapolis Motor Speedway Logo in Indianapolis, Indiana

The Wing and Wheel was the trademark symbol for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway from the 1970s until 2008. The logo still adorns the entrance of the Racing Hall of Fame. This is a 30,000 square-foot museum that tells the story of the raceway from its troubled start in 1909 until the present. The museum displays over 75 cars. 30 of the autos won the Indy 500.

4790 W 16th St, Indianapolis, IN 46222
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Iowa State Capitol Rotunda Dome in Des Moines, Iowa - Encircle Photos

4 Iowa State Capitol Rotunda Dome in Des Moines, Iowa

Lie on the rotunda floor of the Iowa State Capitol in Des Moines and look up: this is what you will see. The blue sky is a suspended canvass. Also suspended is the 1922 banner of the Grand Army of the Republic. The GAR was a fraternal organization of Union Civil War veterans. It ended in 1956 with the last member’s death. This dome is actually a false ceiling. Above it is the exterior brick dome covered in gold leaf. Further up is the cupola. This last feature can only be reached by another staircase.

1007 E Grand Ave, Des Moines, IA 50319
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Hose Company Number 4 Old Firehouse in East Davenport, Iowa - Encircle Photos

5 Hose Company Number 4 Old Firehouse in East Davenport, Iowa

East Davenport, Iowa, is typically called “The Village.” It is a historic tourist attraction along the Mississippi River with a view of Illinois. Among numerous, quaint buildings are the red brick Hose Station No. 4 located near Lindsay Park. The old firehouse was built in 1931 for the volunteer firefighters and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. It is now an International Fire Museum.

2301 E 11th St, Davenport, IA 52803
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Old Capitol Building on University of Iowa Campus in Iowa City, Iowa - Encircle Photos

6 Old Capitol Building on University of Iowa Campus in Iowa City, Iowa

The Old Capitol Building in Iowa City opened in 1842, four years before Iowa became the 29th state. It was the center of government until the capitol moved to Des Moines, Iowa in 1857. The Greek Revival building then became the only structure for the University of Iowa until 1863. Today, it is a museum and one of five buildings in the campus center called the Pentacrest.


21 N Clinton St, Iowa City, IA 52242
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Blacksmith Chains Horseshoes of Jesse Hoover Blacksmith in West Branch, Iowa - Encircle Photos

7 Blacksmith Chains Horseshoes of Jesse Hoover Blacksmith in West Branch, Iowa

At the Herbert Hoover National Historic Site in West Branch, Iowa, is a reconstructed blacksmith shop of the 31st U.S. President’s father, Jesse Hoover. It resembles those years from 1871 to 1878 when similar chains, horseshoes and implements were used to shoe horses and fix wagons. Frequent demonstrations are provided by volunteer blacksmiths so you can watch the hard labor and flying sparks of this historic trade.

210 Parkside Dr, West Branch, IA 52358
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Hogback Bridge of Madison County over North River in Winterset, Iowa - Encircle Photos

8 Hogback Bridge of Madison County over North River in Winterset, Iowa

The Bridges of Madison County are famous for the 1992 best-selling novel and then the movie three years later. Meryl Streep stared as the lonely Iowa housewife who has a four-day affair with Clint Eastwood as the traveling photographer. The third star was the Roseman Covered Bridge. The timber-truss span provided a scenic and romantic backdrop. It is one of only six remaining in Iowa. This is the Hogback Bridge. It was built over the North River in 1884.

Hogback Covered Bridge, 1879 Hogback Bridge Rd, Winterset, IA 50273
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Dwight Eisenhower’s Boyhood Home at Eisenhower Presidential Library in Abilene, Kansas - Encircle Photos

9 Dwight Eisenhower’s Boyhood Home at Eisenhower Presidential Library in Abilene, Kansas

In 1898, when Dwight Eisenhower was eight, his parents and brothers moved into this house in Abilene, Kansas. After graduating from a local high school, he worked at a creamery and as a fireman before being appointed to West Point Military Academy in 1911. Members of his family remained here until 1946. The home is near the Eisenhower Presidential Library.

200 S E 4th St, Abilene, KS 67410
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
University of Kansas Jayhawks Mascot Big Jay in Lawrence, Kansas - Encircle Photos

10 University of Kansas Jayhawks Mascot Big Jay in Lawrence, Kansas

Big Jay was introduced in 1953 as the mascot of the University of Kansas in Lawrence, Kansas. The bird has a bright yellow beak, a red head and big blue eyes. Tradition requires the character stand 6” 2’ when in costume. Big Jay’s home page lists his residence as Allen Fieldhouse, a.k.a. “The Nest.” This statue called “So many faces, but one heart,” by Joanne Renfro is in the KU Visitors’ Center. His Jayhawks companion, Baby Jay, was hatched during the 1971 homecoming game. The school’s first mascot was Centennial Jay. He only made a brief appearance in 1912 and again on his 100th birthday.

1502 Iowa St, Lawrence, KS 66045
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Kansas State Capitol Building in Topeka, Kansas - Encircle Photos

11 Kansas State Capitol Building in Topeka, Kansas

The word “Topeka” comes from the Kaw Nation of American Indians. It means, “A good place to grow potatoes.” A bronze statue of a Kansa warrior named Ad Astra was placed atop the Illinois State Capitol’s copper dome in 2002.This finishing touch was added 100 years after the limestone building was finished in 1903. Kansas became the 34th state on January 29, 1861.

300 SW 10th St, Topeka, KS 66612
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Tin Man from Wizard of Oz at the Oz Museum in Wamego, Kansas - Encircle Photos

12 Tin Man from Wizard of Oz at the Oz Museum in Wamego, Kansas

A popular quote from the 1939 movie “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz” is, “Toto, I’ve a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.” This phrase was voted the fourth most famous line in American cinema. Apparently, Dorothy and her Cairn Terrier lived in Wamego, Kansas. This is where the Wizard of Oz museum displays 25,000 artifacts from the movie, including this full-scale replica of the Tin Man.

511 Lincoln Ave, Wamego, KS 66547
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Clock and Bell Tower of Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum in Wichita, Kansas - Encircle Photos

13 Clock and Bell Tower of Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum in Wichita, Kansas

When it was built in 1892, the city hall of Wichita, Kansas, was known as the Palace of the Plains. That nickname was appropriate because of its stone turrets, columns and clock tower. Since 1939, it has been the Wichita-Sedgwick Country Historical Museum. As the name suggests, this fascinating museum houses over 70,000 items on four floors from the area’s past.

204 S Main St, Wichita, KS 67202
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
John Roebling Bridge over Ohio River in Covington, Kentucky - Encircle Photos

14 John Roebling Bridge over Ohio River in Covington, Kentucky

The Ascent and River Center buildings help define the skyline of Covington, Kentucky. They are located along the Ohio River at the end of the 1867 John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge. This connects Covington – a city of 40,000 people – with Cincinnati, Ohio. Among Covington’s charms are walking among the mansions in the historic neighborhoods and along the Roebling Point riverfront during sunset.

100 Ted Berry Way, Cincinnati, OH 45202
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Rebecca Ruth Candy Factory Bourbon Ball Boxes in Frankfort, Kentucky - Encircle Photos

15 Rebecca Ruth Candy Factory Bourbon Ball Boxes in Frankfort, Kentucky

If you like bourbon and chocolate, then the Rebecca Ruth Candy Factory in Frankfort, Kentucky, has a very special treat for your taste buds: Bourbon Balls. The word “delicious” does not do them justice. During a tour of their facility in a residential home, you will be amazed to see their equipment. The chocolate-making process has not changed much since it was started by two school teachers in 1919. Today, the family business is run by the grandson of founder Ruth Hanly Booe.

116 E 2nd St, Frankfort, KY 40601
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Wild Turkey Distillery Sign in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky - Encircle Photos

16 Wild Turkey Distillery Sign in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky

Wild Turkey in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky, is one of eight distilleries on the Bourbon Trail. Each whiskey company offers a manufacturing tour. Afterwards, you can sample your favorite brands in the tasting room. You are instructed to savor the aroma. Then allow the bourbon to roll across your tongue and down your throat. Wonderful! So, board a tour bus or find a designated driver to weave through the back roads of Kentucky’s northwestern quadrant and visit them all.

1417 Versailles Rd, Lawrenceburg, KY 40342
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Kentucky Horse Park Logo in Lexington, Kentucky - Encircle Photos

17 Kentucky Horse Park Logo in Lexington, Kentucky

The state of Kentucky, and particularly the Bluegrass region, is synonymous with horse breeding. They gave rise to the state slogan “Unbridled Spirit.” Among the most famous horse farms is the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington. It has a reputation for being a retirement oasis for champion horses. The facility also contains an equestrian museum, hosts regular educational and competitive events and displays life-size statues of past greats like Secretariat and Man o’ War.

Iron Works Pike & Iron Works Pkwy, Lexington, KY 40511
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Babe Ruth Baseball Bat at Louisville Slugger Museum in Louisville, Kentucky - Encircle Photos

18 Babe Ruth Baseball Bat at Louisville Slugger Museum in Louisville, Kentucky

New York Yankee Babe Ruth will forever be a legend of baseball, America’s favorite pastime. Outside of the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory is a 120 foot, 68,000 pound replica of The Bambino’s bat. Inside you can see his real 36 inch, 42 ounce bat that earned him the nickname The Sultan of Swat. Babe used it during the 1927 season when he hit 60 home runs. The notches for each homer are visible near the logo.

800 W Main St, Louisville, KY 40202
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Woodford Reserve Distillery in Versailles, Kentucky - Encircle Photos

19 Woodford Reserve Distillery in Versailles, Kentucky

The oldest bourbon distillery building in Kentucky began operations in 1780 at Versailles. The historic structure is now the home of Woodford Reserve. The distiller is owned by the Brown-Foreman Corporation. The tour of their whiskey-production process begins at this visitors’ center. They pride themselves on small batch, premium bourbon using minimal automation. The result of this old-age hand crafting is a very smooth, 90 plus proof sipping whiskey. One taste and you will understand why Woodford Reserve has won so many awards.

7855 McCracken Pike, Versailles, KY 40383
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Downtown from Louisiana State Capitol Observation Tower in Baton Rouge, Louisiana - Encircle Photos

20 Downtown from Louisiana State Capitol Observation Tower in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

In the center of this grassy courtyard in Baton Rouge is a tribute to Huey Long. Also known as The Kingfish, this progressive yet controversial governor advocated redistributing wealth from the rich to the poor toward the end of the Great Depression. His radical ideas came to an abrupt end in 1935 when he was assassinated inside the towering Louisiana Capitol Building he helped to build. This south view is from 350 feet on the 27th floor of the observation deck.

900 N 3rd St, Baton Rouge, LA 70802
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Southern Belle on Curved Staircase in a Plantation in Darrow, Louisiana - Encircle Photos

21 Southern Belle on Curved Staircase in a Plantation in Darrow, Louisiana

The grand old south is still alive among the 140 Louisiana plantations that are now National Historic Landmarks. Many of these gorgeous mansions offer guided tours by southern belles dressed in Antebellum hoop dresses. The properties have long, tree-lined driveways with immaculate gardens. The homes are decorated in their pre-Civil War splendor in sharp contrast to the squalor of the slaves’ quarters.

40136 River Rd, Darrow, LA 70725
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Joan of Arc Statue  in French Quarter in New Orleans, Louisiana - Encircle Photos

22 Joan of Arc Statue in French Quarter in New Orleans, Louisiana

The original equestrian sculpture of Joan of Arc by Emmanuel Frémiet was commissioned by the French Republic’s first president, Napoleon III, in 1874. The famous artwork is in Place des Pyramids, Paris. Similar versions of this gilded bronze statue, called Jeanne d’Arc, are in Nancy, France, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (see Statue gallery), Portland, Oregon and Melbourne, Australia. In New Orleans, she is called the Maid of Orléans and is located in the French Quarter next to the French Market. This was a gift from the people of France in 1958.

914 Decatur St, New Orleans, LA 70116
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Vista from Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park, Maine - Encircle Photos

23 Vista from Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park, Maine

The panoramic view of Frenchman Bay and the Porcupine Islands from this elevation of 1,528 feet is spectacular. The overlook at Cadillac Mountain is a breathtaking highlight of Arcadia National Park. Marvel at this waterscape created during the Ice Age 10,000 to 17,000 years ago. This vista is especially incredible as the sun makes its first appearance in the United States each morning.

707 Cadillac Summit Rd Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
The Blaine House is Governor’s Manson in Augusta, Maine - Encircle Photos

24 The Blaine House is Governor’s Manson in Augusta, Maine

This National Historic Landmark was built in 1833 for a ship captain named James Hall. But its namesake is James G. Blaine, the home’s second owner. His long political career as a Republican began at the Maine House of Representatives, included being a Speaker of the U. S. House and U. S. Senator, the U.S. Secretary of State and twice was a presidential nominee. In 1881, he was walking beside James Garfield when the 20th U.S. President was assassinated. In 1919, The Blaine House was donated to Maine as the governor’s mansion.

192 State St, Augusta, ME 04330
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Mount Desert Reading Room at Bar Harbor Inn & Spa Hotel in Bar Harbor, Maine - Encircle Photos

25 Mount Desert Reading Room at Bar Harbor Inn & Spa Hotel in Bar Harbor, Maine

In 1881, the Oasis Club of gentlemen founded the Mount Desert Reading Room near what is now known as Arcadia National Park. It was not a library. Instead, this prestigious, private establishment attracted the American gentry like Rockefeller, Ford, Vanderbilt and Carnegie for a stiff drink and an excellent cigar. Today, this handsome, cedar-shingled building is a fine-food restaurant and part of the Bar Harbor Inn & Spa Hotel overlooking Frenchman Bay.

7 Newport Dr, Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Penobscot River View of Bucksport, Maine - Encircle Photos

26 Penobscot River View of Bucksport, Maine

Bucksport, Maine – seen from Fort Knox State Park across the Penobscot River – is a small town of about 5,000 people. Its fascinating history dates back 5,000 years. The first settlers were the Red Paint People. This Indigenous tribe lived in present-day New England from 3000 to 1000 BC. Colonel Johnathan Buck was the first person from Massachusetts to build a plantation here in 1775. His name was honored when Bucksport was incorporated in 1792. This shoreline is best remembered for the worst naval defeat in American history until Pearl Harbor. In 1779, during the American Revolution, the British sunk 44 American ships and killed 474 sailors during a battle called the Penobscot Expedition.

740 Ft Knox Rd Prospect, ME 04981
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Schooner Mary Day in Camden, Maine - Encircle Photos

27 Schooner Mary Day in Camden, Maine

Schooners began sailing along the coast of Maine in the 1700s. These tall ships had one purpose: to haul commercial cargo along the Eastern Seaboard. By the early 1930s, trains made these fleets obsolete. In 1936, a visionary named Frank Swift was the first person in Maine to convert a marvelous ship into a windjammer cruise. This sparked an industry in Penobscot Bay. There are now 12 vessels offering sightseeing cruises for the delight of tourists. The Schooner Mary Day is one of the dozen.

16 Atlantic Ave Camden, ME 04843
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
George H. W. Bush Summer Compound on Walker’s Point in Kennebunkport, Maine - Encircle Photos

28 George H. W. Bush Summer Compound on Walker’s Point in Kennebunkport, Maine

In 1903, George H. Walker built a mansion on what was called Point Vesuvius in Kennebunkport, Maine. George H.W. Bush spent his boyhood summers here. The former president eventually inherited his grandfather’s view of the Atlantic Ocean, now called Walker’s Point. There are nine bedrooms in this New England style home, plus a pool, tennis court, guesthouse and boathouse. The Bush compound became the Summer White House during his presidency. Guests have included Vladimir Putin, Bill Clinton, Mikhail Gorbachev, Margaret Thatcher and many other world dignitaries.

292 Ocean Ave Kennebunkport, ME 04046
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
History of Old Port along Waterfront in Portland, Maine - Encircle Photos

29 History of Old Port along Waterfront in Portland, Maine

The Abenaki Native Americans lived here for millenniums before Portuguese explorer Estêvão Gomez’s discovery in 1524. The next European visitor was Englishman Captain John Smith in 1614. The first of several attempts at settlement began in 1623. In 1786, the town of Portland was established. A key to growth was maritime trade because this is the closest U.S. port to Europe. The harbor’s success accelerated in 1820 when the city became the capital of the new state of Maine. A further boom occurred after 1853. That is when a railroad was connected to Montreal. Portland rapidly became the winter port serving Canada when other harbors in Atlantic Canada and the St. Lawrence River were icebound. After the 1920s, shipments at the wharfs declined and the area deteriorated. In the 1980s, a rebirth began along the waterfront and the Old Port neighborhood. That is what you are experiencing today: a blend of the historic and the new all facing Portland’s Harbor. Most of the vessels you will see are cruise ships, sightseeing tours and lobster boats like those shown here.

86 Commercial St, Portland, ME 04101
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Courtyard at Fort Knox in Prospect, Maine - Encircle Photos

30 Courtyard at Fort Knox in Prospect, Maine

The beautifully preserved Fort Knox in Penobscot, Maine, was built with granite in the mid-19th century to guard the Penobscot River from a potential British invasion. The attack never came. The fortress was also manned during the Civil and Spanish-American Wars but still never saw a military conflict. The 124 acre, former military post is now the Fort Knox State Park. It is fun walking around this U. S. National Historic Landmark.

740 Ft Knox Rd Prospect, ME 04981
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Rockport Harbor in Rockport, Maine - Encircle Photos

31 Rockport Harbor in Rockport, Maine

The harbor in Rockford, Maine, looks as idyllic as your imagination can muster. Fluffy clouds provide a warm canopy over idle fishing boats in rippling blue water. A pristine white church stands behind mansions along the green shoreline. So, turn off the cell phone, find a bench beside the Andre the Seal statue and savor the view.

111 Pascal Ave, Rockport, ME 04856
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Rumford Falls on the Androscoggin River in Rumford, Maine - Encircle Photos

32 Rumford Falls on the Androscoggin River in Rumford, Maine

Rumford, Maine’s native son is Ed Muskie. The career politician was a governor, U.S. senator, Secretary of State plus a nominee for Vice President and President. Next to his memorial is a section of Rumford Falls. Here, the Androscoggin River cascades over a series of dams used to power local paper mills. The total drop of the falls is 176 feet.

Prospect Ave & S Rumford Rd Rumford, ME 04276
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Seal Harbor Yacht Club in Seal Harbor, Maine - Encircle Photos

33 Seal Harbor Yacht Club in Seal Harbor, Maine

For a beach that is quieter than neighboring Arcadia National Park, try one on Little Long Pond in Seal Harbor, Maine. This oasis on Mount Desert Island provides a relaxing view of tree-lined coasts and anchored sailboats. And when the sails get hoisted, it is often the Seal Harbor Yacht Club that is sponsoring the race.

Seal Harbor Yacht Club 29 Steamboat Rd, Seal Harbor, ME 04675
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Vintage Lobster Trap Floats at Searsport, Maine - Encircle Photos

34 Vintage Lobster Trap Floats at Searsport, Maine

There is an antique dealer on Maine Street in Searsport who is trying to prove the adage, “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.” Appropriately, the store is called the Treasures & Trash Barn. This colorful display of vintage lobster trap floats cover the barn’s exterior. They are a testament to another saying. “Maine lobster is the best lobster.” Over 124 million pounds of the delicious crustacean are annually harvested along the coast of Maine.

156 E Main St, Searsport, ME 04974
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Cape Neddick Lighthouse on Nubble Island in York Beach, Maine - Encircle Photos

35 Cape Neddick Lighthouse on Nubble Island in York Beach, Maine

The beacon at the top of the 41 foot Cape Neddick Lighthouse was first turned on in 1879. It has been aiding marine navigation along the coast of Maine ever since. Residents of The Yorks call this light The Nubble because it was built on the rocky cliff of Nubble Island. Summer tourists to this group of neighboring resort communities simply call it beautiful.

8 Sohier Park Rd, York, ME 03909
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Yellow Peril Biplane at U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland - Encircle Photos

36 Yellow Peril Biplane at U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland

Annapolis is home to Maryland’s state capitol, a charming seaport along Chesapeake Bay and the U.S. Naval Academy. This former armory to the midshipman is Dahlgren Hall. It was built in 1903. The interior resembles an old train station with a large, arched ceiling and exposed metal trusses. From the rafters hangs a N3N biplane. The aircraft was nicknamed the Yellow Peril because it was notoriously difficult to land.

Dahlgren Hall Arcade Rd, Naval Academy, MD 21402
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Hyannis Harbor Lighthouse at Barnstable on Cape Cod, Massachusetts - Encircle Photos

37 Hyannis Harbor Lighthouse at Barnstable on Cape Cod, Massachusetts

For 80 years starting in 1849, eight keepers managed this lighthouse in order to safely guide boats into Hyannis Harbor on Cape Cod. No doubt several of those sailors were members of the Kennedy family. Their summer compound is nearby. Imagine seeing John F. Kennedy navigating his beloved 26 foot Victura sailboat by the Hyannis Harbor Lighthouse. Today, this light is a privately-owned antique store.

199 Channel Point Rd, Hyannis, MA 02601
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Cheers Bar in Boston, Massachusetts - Encircle Photos

38 Cheers Bar in Boston, Massachusetts

What better place to start your trip to Boston than a place where everyone knows your name? For eleven seasons starting in 1982, fans of the TV comedy “Cheers” saw this building during the opening credits. While standing here in Beacon Hill, you expect to see Norm stroll by. The interior is very different than the show’s set. But there is a plaque at the edge of the bar with Norm’s name on it. So, pull up a stool, order a cold beer, hum that famous song and pretend to harass Cliff.

84 Beacon St, Boston, MA 02108
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Memorial Hall at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts - Encircle Photos

39 Memorial Hall at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts

This High Victorian Gothic masterpiece on the Harvard University campus is actually three buildings dating from 1875. In the middle with the 190 foot tower is Memorial Hall. The name honors graduates who died during the Civil War. Inside are 22 stained glass windows encircled by rich dark paneling. On the right is the 1,166 seat Saunders Theater. Partially seen on the left is the Annenberg Hall. This is the freshman dining hall.

1779 Cambridge St Cambridge, MA 02138
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Minuteman Reenact Revolutionary War at Minute Man Park in Concord, Massachusetts - Encircle Photos

40 Minuteman Reenact Revolutionary War at Minute Man Park in Concord, Massachusetts

In 1775, the Revolutionary War started with the “Shot heard around the world” on Old North Bridge in Concord, Massachusetts. The rangers at the Minute Man National Historic Park do a terrific job explaining the battles against the British. Down near the reconstructed bridge, volunteers in period costumes describe the role of Minutemen. They also demonstrate muskets. These guns were so inaccurate you, “couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn.”

269 Monument St, Concord, MA 01742
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Nauset Light in Northern Cape Cod, Eastham, Massachusetts - Encircle Photos

41 Nauset Light in Northern Cape Cod, Eastham, Massachusetts

Cape Cod is an island on the Atlantic coast of Massachusetts. During its peak fishing and whaling history, the waters became an ocean graveyard to 3,000 ships. In order to provide a beacon of safety, lighthouses were erected starting in 1857. Today, about fourteen remain, mostly as tourist attractions. This is Nauset Light in Eastham. Its classic, cast iron and brick structure painted in white, red and black was built in 1877.

120 Nauset Light Beach Rd, Eastham, MA 02642
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Lexington Minuteman Statue of Captain John Parker in Lexington, Massachusetts - Encircle Photos

42 Lexington Minuteman Statue of Captain John Parker in Lexington, Massachusetts

On April 14, 1775, Captain John Parker and a group of militias encountered British soldiers in Lexington, Massachusetts. The Redcoats were on their way to neighboring Concord to confiscate rumored weapons. Parker’s partial quote to his men was, “Don’t fire unless fired upon.” The brief Battle of Lexington – the first Revolutionary War skirmish – resulted in the death of eight militia. Parker died a few months later. This statue by Henry Hudson is called, “The Lexington Minuteman.” The bronze is a tribute to Parker and the colonists who armed themselves against the British and the Pequot Indians.

1888 Massachusetts Ave, Lexington, MA 02421
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Pilgrim Guide on Mayflower II Ship in Plymouth, Massachusetts - Encircle Photos

43 Pilgrim Guide on Mayflower II Ship in Plymouth, Massachusetts

In 1620, Captain Christopher Jones sailed the Mayflower from England to what is now called Plymouth Rock, Massachusetts. Over 100 people were crammed into the 100 foot vessel for the miserable, cross-Atlantic journey. After they arrived, nearly half died from the bitter winter cold and disease. This replica of the 17th century ship is called the Mayflower II. Guides in pilgrim attire provide tours of the ship and tell the courageous stories of the early settlers.

79 Water St, Plymouth, MA 02360
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Bradley Wharf and Lobster Boats in Inner Harbor of Rockport, Massachusetts - Encircle Photos

44 Bradley Wharf and Lobster Boats in Inner Harbor of Rockport, Massachusetts

Bearskin Neck in Rockport, Massachusetts, once thrived on fishing. The waterfront now thrives on tourists. This small peninsula hosts quaint shops, artisans and restaurants. The red building with the lobster buoys is Motif #1, an iconic symbol since 1884. If you want to treat your taste buds, go to Roy Moore Lobster Company on the pier. Order a large lobster, watch them drop it into the boiling water and then enjoy the feast on the back deck. Unbelievably delicious!

1-5 T-Wharf Rockport, MA 01966
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Tombstone in Salem Street Burying Ground in Salem, Massachusetts - Encircle Photos

45 Tombstone in Salem Street Burying Ground in Salem, Massachusetts

The 1692 witch trials were a deplorable chapter in American history. Yet, they created a lasting annuity for Salem, Massachusetts. The town is full of memorabilia, museums, historical locations and cemeteries that compete to tell their stories to visitors. From 1683 until 1881, over 600 mostly wealthy people were buried in the Salem Street Burying Ground. The most common headstone is the winged skull. The symbol signifies the soul’s ascension into Heaven.

Salem St & River St Medford, MA 02155
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Fairy Door in Ann Arbor, Michigan - Encircle Photos

46 Fairy Door in Ann Arbor, Michigan

Ann Arbor is synonymous with the term “college town,” thanks to the large presence of the University of Michigan. The city is also known for liberal politics, the decriminalization of marijuana and fairy doors. Yup, fairy doors. These are tiny doors found in the baseboards inside and outside of retail buildings. The portals require you to get on your knees for a close inspection. The custom is to make a contribution of coins or other small objects. This one contains a “fairy gift store” inside it. Maps are available if you want to find them all.

210 S Main St, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Abe Lincoln Assassination Chair at Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan - Encircle Photos

47 Abe Lincoln Assassination Chair at Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan

At the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan, are hundreds of exhibits chronicling early American life with historic artifacts. One of the most interesting is this rocking chair protected by a glass case. President Abraham Lincoln was sitting in it at Ford’s Theater in Washington D.C. when he was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth on April 14, 1865. The chair was purchased by Henry Ford in 1929 for $2,400. The museum also contains the limo where John F. Kennedy was assassinated.

Henry Ford Museum, W Village Rd, Dearborn, MI 48124
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Hitsville USA Motown Museum in Detroit, Michigan - Encircle Photos

48 Hitsville USA Motown Museum in Detroit, Michigan

In 1959, Berry Gordy purchased 2648 West Grand Boulevard (left) in Detroit, Michigan. He formed a recording studio called “Hitsville U.S.A.” By the mid-1960s, Motown records occupied seven more houses, including the one on the right. Music stars he created included The Miracles, Stevie Wonder, The Supremes, The Jackson 5, The Temptations, The Four Tops, Gladys Knight & the Pips plus many others. It is now a museum offering tours of where so much wonderful music was produced for 13 years.

2650 W Grand Blvd, Detroit, MI 48208
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Cityscape of Grand River in Grand Rapids, Michigan - Encircle Photos

49 Cityscape of Grand River in Grand Rapids, Michigan

The Grand Rapids’ skyline on the east bank of the Grand River is dominated by the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel (left) and the JW Marriott Grand Rapids (right). They are the city’s third and sixth tallest buildings. The city has a population of nearly 190,000 people. Among its native sons is former President Gerald Ford. Grand Rapids is nicknamed “Furniture City” for its historic lumbering and furniture manufacturing.

220 Front Ave NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
Michigan State Capitol Building Dome in Lansing, Michigan - Encircle Photos

50 Michigan State Capitol Building Dome in Lansing, Michigan

The first capital city of Michigan was Detroit. The second Michigan State Capitol was built in Lansing in 1847, ten years after becoming the 26th state. The third and current building was completed in 1878. This handsome structure was designed by Elijah Myers. He was also the architect for the capitols in Texas and Colorado. This brilliant white, cast-iron dome and spire rise 267 feet. The architectural style is Renaissance Revival.

100 N Capitol Ave, Lansing, MI 48933
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
TOP